top of page
  • Writer's pictureMadeira Relocation & Expat Services

How Much Are You Paying For Your D7 Visa?

D7 Visa
D7 Visa

If you are from countries outside of the EU and plan to live in Portugal, you must find out what kind of entry and residency visas are available to the citizens of your country. Some of the most common forms of residency permits are the D2 Visa (Self-employed / Entrepreneurs), D3 Visa (Specific Specialization), D7 Visa (passive income holders & Retired), and the Golden Visa (Investment). There are other kinds of visa programs available too, but these are some of the most common programs.

The D7 visa which was introduced by the government of Portugal in 2007, also known as the Passive Income Visa or the Retirement Visa, allows citizens of countries outside of EU/EEA and Switzerland to apply for a residency permit if they can show some form of passive income such as rental income, commissions, profits, royalties, or retirement.

To apply for a D7 visa you will have to first receive your NIF (Taxpayer Identification Number) and open an account. The next step is to contact the Portuguese consulate that is located in the area that you live in. You will have to gather your personal and financial documents for submission. The Consulate will offer you a date for a personal interview. By the time you go for your interview, you should also be able to show proof of secured accommodation (rental or purchase contract) in Portugal.

Some foreigners decide to hire professionals such as an attorney or specialized companies to help them with the application. The fees they require for such help vary between a few hundreds and a few thousand Euros. However, considering that you submit the documents on your own and go for the interview in person, the work that an attorney or another third party can contribute towards the process is minimal and does not justify the high fees.

Before you arrive in Madeira, you will be given an appointment with Immigration and Border Services - SEF, which you will attend in person. Although most officers at SEF speak English, you may wish to ask a translator to accompany you.

When you receive the D7 visa from the Immigration and Border Services - SEF, the family reunification regulations apply to your immediate family, meaning that they will immediately become entitled to receiving the residency permit as well. You may ask an attorney or a third-party service provider to prepare the application for the residency permit for your family member. However, this is also a project that you can carry out on your own.

At the time of the writing of this text, the fees for the D7 Visa is about €75 and for the Residency permit is about €90.

48 views0 comments


bottom of page